installing sod, what do i need to know

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Orkin Yards, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

i'm putting down 3 pallets of st. augustine this morning, i've done a little sodding before, but i wanted to see what kind of advice you guys had to give, we've already put topsoil down and leveled the ground, what else should i know?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

GREEN SIDE UP !!!

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Dixie1, I cannot emphasize this enough, GREEN SIDE UP!!!

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Should not have put top soil down.

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with Avery. That is unless you first tilled up what is now the new subsoil.

6. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

what kind of native soil do you have?here in michigan we have mostly clay you can grow sod on this crap but it takes alot of maintance$$$.2" of good black dirt will do wonders for performance.i went to an expo with dr. vargus as a speaker he could not stress this enough.look at the mighigan state website for more info.do aerations yearly and do 2 organic supplement per growing season. stay away from the chemlawn specials (30-0-0) at 3#'s per app
    doing 7 apps a year.

7. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

if your color blind the green side is the soft furry one.

8. You guys can be mean sometimes.

Butt your joints well.
    Stay away from using small strips around edges
    stagger the seams
    And DO MAKE SURE THE GREEN SIDE IS UP.
    John

9. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Put a decent starter fert underneath and try to have whats underneath tilled to accept the roots. Use 6' landscape staples on hillsides to avoid slippage and water, water, water. If they dont water it will be brown side up:(

10. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

If you are incharge of the maintenance for the newly laid sod, make sure to water alot as the other said. But also keep that sod cut short, this will force the roots to grow down and take a good hold.