Installing sod when ground is wet..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Aug 7, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Welp, I'm in a bind guys.

I have a big order of sod coming on saturday about 6pallets, 450 sq yards, 4000 sq feet..

I had ordered the sod because it was suppose to be freaking sunny and the gorund was going to be dry, now its all FCKING WET...

What should or can I do?

Should I go ahead and get a lawn roller, roll the soil and lay down the sod? If not, how long can SOD last outside for?

I'ts not going to be hot for the next 2-3 days, its suppose to be rainy and cloudy, the temperatue is pretty cool not hot at all..

;) ;) ;)

2. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

sod has to be laid ASAP
    speaking from experience 12 pallets ruined after 2 1/2 days
    $1400 mistake to never happen again

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Why dont you want to do it when the ground is wet?

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

in theory wet ground should be better. It will help the sod from getting too dry. You are just going to water it like crazy when you are done.

The biggest problem will be that the sod you recieve will be that much heavier to work with and more likely to tear since it got rained on too.

5. alpine692003

ahh ... so its okay ..

Well I was afraid of laying down sod on wet ground because when I would step on the ground it would sink..

I guess a lawn roller to soil will fix that ..

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you down want to press down the new soil with a roller. You want the new sod to be able to grab the new soil. Don't use the roller until after the sod is down. I see no problem with putting it down wet. Now if it is standing water wet, that is another story.

7. alpine692003

Thanks...

I thought so...

8. hartslawnmain

hartslawnmain LawnSite Member

What Tiedeman just said! I just did a sod job and was worried about the same thing. The people I bought it from said it was alright as long as there was no standing water. Good luck and make sure the seams are tight.

9. alpine692003

Yippy ..

I'm 3/4 done in the front and the ground was dry...

6 pallets to start with ... 3 done ...

I'm going to try and do the rest tmrw and then finish off the rest on monday.. GROUND WAS DRY!

I'll show you guys pics of the dirt and then the 3/4 done and then the rest..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Odd. Even is this heat here sod lasts longer than that. Of course, the sooner the better. But things happen. Just last month we had sod laying around for almost a week and was fine, minus the top two layers or so of each pallet. Almost totally yellow when we could finally lay it, greened up in a couple of weeks or less.