installing sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by meets1, Sep 29, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have installed many rolls but do any of you guys have a faster method of cutting sod around irrigation, poles, sidewalks??

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I’m sure each person has his choice method of cutting sod, but a serrated kitchen knife works well for cutting around pipes, sprinkler heads, and other smaller objects. I like to use a good sharp half moon for longer cuts such as along sidewalks. Some guys use edgers, but I haven’t had success doing it that way myself.

I suppose that you could come up with something like a bulb planter that could be used over sprinkler heads.

3. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Serrated knife here. Its easy to handle and does the job.

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Serrated steak knife works well, although the installer from the sod farm rolled his eyes at me when I pulled them out. They use the buck-knife sytle razor knifes so they can change blades quickly.

I find a stick edger works GREAT for cutting in beds and tree rings.

The bulb planter idea sounds like a good method for irrigation heads. Good winter project.

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

same as above... Except I use a small saw. Mine is about 8in long with fine teeth. Also I use my edger on the sidewalks and driveways. Much easier and faster.

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm... I wonder if anyone has tried using this tool for cutting sod?

t_586269.jpg

7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Hatchet or pointed shovel works great. I think a sawzall would be a waste of time. Its just sod. You can usually tear it with your hands just as easy.

8. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I see it now, Millwalkee coming out with a sod blade next week.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

a sharp knife and sometimes rips work in the middle

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A sharp flat spade works well, too. It all depends on what type of line your cutting. When we piece pieces together, it is fast to just make a few chops with the spade. The surrated knife works well fpr many smaller things too, though.