Installing sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TexasFire221, Mar 31, 2008.

1. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Is this something that a beginner can tackle or should it be left up to the pro's

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Laying sod is easy. It's the yard preperation for the sod that can be a little tricky. Are you just laying sod or are you preping the yard too???

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You can do it provided you prepare the ground properly. You also should get a soil test to make sure the grass will continue to grow after installation.

Do you have grass or some grass in the area to be sodded? If you do, you will need to kill it with round up to prevent grass and weeds from coming up through the cracks in your sod, it may even be a good idea to treat with a PreM prior to install. A Toro Dingo with a harley rake attachment will really make the installation faster if you need the surface tilled and leveled.

4. TexasFire221

from Texas

This is a new contruction. They will prep the area with top soil I will just install.

5. Lawn-Sharks

ohhh! your in the clear then. If you have common sence then you can lay sod.I just find a straite edge on the property and start laying it in a brick pattern but dont forget to mark all of you sprinker heads out with marking flags if it hasnt already been done.oh and buy some machettes <----(think i spelled it wrong) so you can cut the sod as needed.

6. TexasFire221

from Texas

How should I bid the job?

7. Lawn-Sharks

how many sq ft is it? I dont know what you pay for sod but heres an example.
    Florida cost...a 400sq ft of St.Augustine cost me $110.00 per pallot delivered. I charge $300.00 per pallot installed thats the price of the sod and install. it takes me and a new guy 4hrs to lay 2,000 sq ft...These a just close examples to what i charge i cannot tell you exactly what i charge i have competitors on this site..My sod lay time is correct..