Installing the soldier course

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by chrisvinky, Jun 8, 2012.

1. chrisvinky

chrisvinky LawnSite Senior Member

When you guys install pavers, from what I gather is that most install the field first, mark for the cut and then install the soldier course.

Is the best way to cut the soldier course with a handheld saw? Does the pavers not vibrate out of place or move?

Also, at what point do you put the edge restraint down?

I am installing my first patio starting Monday!

2. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

To answer your questions:
    Yes, install all of the field first, overlay everything a few inches past the final desired layout line.
    We layout the snap edge on top of the pavers then score a line along the snap edge to mark the final cut for the soldier course.
    Pull the snap edge away, cut the line you scored, discard the cuts and lay in the soldier.
    We usually overlay enough that we just pop out the cuts and have the pavers right there to swap in.
    Once the solider is in, install the snap edge, do your first poly sand sweep, tamp the pavers, do your final poly sand sweep, blow it off lightly with a blower, wet it down and your done.
    That's how we do it, and have done it for years.

3. chrisvinky

chrisvinky LawnSite Senior Member

So you actually cut the pavers in the bedding sand with a gas powered saw? I was afraid that the pavers would move doing this.

4. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I score the pavers in place, if the patio is square I will cut all the way through but if it has a radius I remove them to finish the cut.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We seldom cut the field with a cut off saw. We usually cut the field with a table saw. It turns out far more cleaner and neater.

Posted via Mobile Device

6. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

Cut in place where you can. Pretty much everything except inside corners work using this method. Cleaner lines in about 1/4 the time.

7. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

I find often when I cut in place that I have to go back and touch up the sand which isnt a big deal seeing how much time is saved not marking and cutting individually. On tight curves I do cut individually.

8. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

If your base is tight and solid you shouldn't have ANY issues cutting the pavers laid in.
    Don't sweep the sand in before cutting, not a good idea.
    I don't what anyone says, marking and cutting with a table saw is twice as time consuming and not as nice looking....if you know how to work a demo saw.
    Once you get good at it, it saves a lot of time.
    We even have a road saw that we use for long straight cuts, normally used for asphalt works great for cutting pavers, again if your base is tight like it should be.

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I would say cutting with a table saw, if you are good at it like we are, then the cuts come out cleaner. Takes longer but the end result imo is better.

10. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

i do them all on the table saw unless its huge pavers like the cambridge ledgestone XLs