Installing trickle charger to my dump trailer - need some guidance!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rawtoxic, Mar 5, 2008.

1. rawtoxic

rawtoxic LawnSite Member

Hi I have a 2001 dodge 2500 and a 2007 texas pride dump trailer, I would like to install a trickle charger but cannot find good directions to do it myself anywhere on the WWW is there another name for a trickle charger I should know to search for? I have the standard 7 way RV plug I understand the center is hot - what size wire do I use - do I need a in-line fuse - does my Dodge need a fuse added like a newer chevy to function properly - do you connect just to the + of the battery?

I appreciate any light you can shed to this problem. I do understand some people idea to run straight off battery or under hood I am light user and think the trickle charge would satisfy my dumping needs.

Side question:
    Does anyone use these solar units successfully the way our stuff gets beat up I can't imagine a solar panel lasting too long anyways. It is damn sunny in Colorado though!

Thanks everyone!
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

try maintenance charger, sears sells them for like $40 and they are easy to hook up.
  3. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Try also, float charger. Trickle chargers stay at a fix rate ( about .5 amp or so ) while float chargers turn themselves on or off as needed to maintain s fully charged battery.
  4. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

Run a hot wire from the tow truck battery through the plug and charge on the go.:rolleyes:
  5. rawtoxic

rawtoxic LawnSite Member

Hmmm... I am still not finding anything I am NOT LOOKING for a way to charge using a standard 110 plug in I rarely have my dump trailer at my house.

So is it impossible to have the battery charge simply using the 7 way RV plug with some modifications made? Thanks for the reply Meador56 it was the best response can you provide some further installation details like what part of the plug I should use?

I just want someone to explain how to do this for me or provide a link explaining how (I can't find one for the life of me!)

Please help!
  6. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Try this:

I don't think you want a trickle charger, I think your trying to re-charge your "back-up" battery for you trailer brakes...correct? (For your break away hook up?)

Anyway, the link above has some pretty good info...hope it helps.
  7. desii

desii LawnSite Member

In searching some sites to help you, I found this description of a brake away kit (huh):

Curts Soft-Trac II Breakaway System non only when meets, if it be not that exceeds the Department of Transportation's specifications concerning breakaway systems. Curts Breakaway System is intended during the term of habituate on exclusive, in tandem and tri-axel trailers fitted out in company with electrical brakes. Breakaway Soft-Trac0 tin put on on whatever jack up carry or A-frame in the opinion of Quick unitary deadbolt installing outside of boring. Most states order Soft-Trac1 shift according to divide force furnish at what time towing a house trailer. Comes by the agency of Soft-Trac2 caseful and mounting bracket out, 12v certain rechargeable Soft-Trac3 nylon Soft-Trac4 change and in contrast with or Soft-Trac5 12v Soft-Trac6 Soft-Trac7

That is cut & paste directly from

It must have been written during the writer's strike...LOL.
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Trickle chargers are bad for batteries the best is a charger that gives it a quck hot charge. If you are using a deep cycle RV battery you need to draw that sucker down to its almost flat and recharge it.
  9. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

10. rawtoxic

rawtoxic LawnSite Member

yes that's what I've been looking for - the CHARGE CIRCUIT! I want to charge my dump trailer battery.

Is it a big mistake to not let the deep cycle battery run all the way dead? it seems to die when I need it most like at the dump 15 minutes before they close with huge chunks of concrete in it. A battery will still last a couple years? Or just pull the fuse when I don't need the trailer charging?

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

So basically I gather this is what I should do:

1) See if my truck wiring harness has a + battery connection run to the truck side of the 7 way RV plug, if not run a new + cable w a 10 gauge wire from the battery (Side question: which battery on a 2 battery dodge 2001 cummins?)
    2) Install fuse in truck if needed to complete circuit
    3) This is where I am a bit timid, install wire from trailer wiring harness to battery postive to create a charge?