1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Installing Vinyl Fencing on top of wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever install vinyl fence on top of a CMU or masonry wall? I'm thinking 3' of exposed 1/2" rebar on the two opposite interior corners of each post, then fill half way with concrete? This is going to be PITA. I'm stumped on this one. There are 6x6's just sitting on the ground holding up the patio which is just blowing out of the timbers. I have this damn fence to deal with (this is a condominium, so they all look like this). Building a wall in front of the fence would look stupid, without the wall I'm going to see failure with the patio. What do you think of this?

2. jamo1911

jamo1911 LawnSite Member

I've done it twice. Both times I cut off the part of the fence that would normally be buried and used a surface mount. The mount was a Simpson Strong-tie ABE series post base (http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/AB-ABA-ABE-ABU.asp) for a 4x4 post. The fence post was a skirt type that went over the Strong-tie. I have also seen a flat plate screwed into the bottom of the fence post where the vinyl fence already had the wood inside it. The plate extended roughly 1" on all sides of the post like a flange so holes could be drilled in that and lag bolted to the surface. An additional trim ring would hide the mess.
  3. jamo1911

jamo1911 LawnSite Member

By the way, what program is that you are using?
  4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

One way to do it is to use 11/2" chain link fence posts in the center of each vinyl post. Holes will have to be drilled through the stone cap for the metal polls. Before you set the stone cap, concrete the metal post between the space provided in the masonry block. Make sure at least 2-21/2' of metal post is buried in concrete. The metal post should extend out of the ground at least 3/4 the length of the vinyl post. If you have extra vinyl post material than you will need to cut spacers to fit inside the vinyl post. You will also have to drill holes in these spacers for the metal post. Slide the vinyl posts over the metal posts. Then slide the spacers inside the vinyl post and over the metal post. Make sure spacers don't end up in line with the rails. I live in a very windy area of the country and this is about the only way a vinyl fence will stay vertical in that type of application. Good luck!