1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Installing Walker Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CMerLand, Jul 9, 2003.

1. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Have already purchased to install a new right side hydro on my 97 walker. Looking for advice from those of you who may have removed and installed these before about any tricks, obstacles or problems encountered. Also, was it necessary to replace the gear box side o ring or were you able to just reuse it?

Spoke with a walker tech today and actually sounds pretty easy to do, almost tooo easy which is why Im asking this question.

PS If youve never actually replaced these before, please dont regale us with some off topic post about how the hydros in your 1908 super lawn machine are still running fine or some other useless information about the subject. Thank you in advance.

2. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

can't tell you how to replace, but you should always replace the o rings, never reuse. It's cheap insurance.
  3. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Uhh, not that anyones jumped all over this thread to provide answers, but for future search results thought Id update with my results.

Results were, WOOOHOOOO dont need a new hydro after all. Was begining to start the removal process to remove the pump, and that started with removing the deck from the front end of the mower. When I got underneath the tractor part to remove the transmission control arm nut, I noticed that the steering rod end was missing its nut, but didnt fall out of control arm. The bolt end was just rocking back and forth in the hole, so the transmission lever wasnt fully engaging the transmission in forward or reverse. Had to run the control arm nut thru a die to put new threads back on it but once buttoned up with a nyloc nut the pump is working fine. Actually was pulling harder then the other side was before I got everythign back in adjustment.

So before replacing your pump, do check to make sure this hasnt happened on your machine. Real glad I started at the bottom and didnt find this out till after the pump was out.

Good luck

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

What do you think most Dealers would have done? Went ahead and replace the pump much $
    Fix the rod and tell you they rebuilt the hydro much $
    Fix the rod and charge you few $