Instead of late payers how about people who....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grandview (2006), Aug 9, 2007.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

send in their payment and you get it back in 4 days with a note saying their sorry for taking so long. I like these people!:clapping:

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I have ppl who pay within 7 days about 20 out of my 50 residentials do every month plus when I get constant late payers I just cancel at end of year we are getting more work than we can handle right now. so first to pay first to serve

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

that is nice. we got around 150 of our customers who pay for each mowing every week before we mow on their scheduled day via a credit card we got on file.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I like the attitude of first to pay = first to serve myself, all I do anymore, high rollers come first, pretty much.
    It comes natural to me, someone always pays slow and I find I lose interest, a slow payer is 1-2 steps from a deadbeat in my book.
    Same with those who can't or won't spend another dime above and beyond, gets to where their lawn doesn't even cross my mind anymore... I used to think it was my fault for being forgetful, in hindsight only some of it was ...

I try and finish out the season but I've also increased price mid-season on one or the other, some turn out in the end, some don't, either way it is fixed. Price increases do work in these and some other last resort cases, a few are still with me today and all is well.

5. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I bill all of my customers monthly. I showed up at one of my accounts this week and the homeowner came out to see me to find out why she hadn't received her bill for last month yet? She was on vaca. and expected it in her mailbox when she got back. I told her that I was a bit late getting the bills out but that I had it with my in the truck. "Okay, make sure you see me before you leave and give you a check". How refreshing!

6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

That's exactly how I seed things.

Especially in winter after a huge storm, the squeaky wheel gets left to the end in my book. People that are prompt, and pay good and even compliment me always get better and faster service.

Sometimes with late payers, I just get sick of them but others are nice and have been doing the same ole bs on me for years. They just forget to pay their bills. I ALWAYS have to phone them and ask if they got my bill, bla bla Leave it for me I'll be in the area tomorrow. Sometimes I think people don't buy stamps anymore. But one thing is for sure, they are always the SAME people.

7. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

I charge 5% service fee/ late charge. I only have one customer that says anything she gives me a hard time saying she does not think the bill is right but then I explain the bill to her and the fact that she hasn't paid me in two months then she still says it does not look right. then after all that she pays the whole bill she just a haggler pita! On the other hand I have some very nice customers who pay ahead one to two months with no signed contracts to me there at the top of my list. Another thing that has always worked is when thre really late even after multiple billings I send them the last bill in bright floresent paper and bright pink means thats it your done by that time they pay though. I've allways felt landscapers are the last bill on there list