insulating backflow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ferti-man, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, Lets get this going. I am not for insulating above ground pipe and back flows in winter after blowout. There is nothing in there to freeze! I do subscribe to insulating pipe in fall if running past normal blowout schedule and in spring if starting up early for obvious reasons. Why do most companies insulate in winter as part of winterizing? Either its a waste of time or I am missing something. :confused:

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Because it makes them extra money

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive never seen it done around here.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

....and for an extra twenty, we throw in a lullaby after we tuck the BP into its wintertime bed :p

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ok , how much are we supposed to be charging for that?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I had one client this last fall want hers re-wrapped. It was the typical insulation and trash bag with duct tape, that had gotten worn down and torn. I tried selling her one of the FitRite insulation bags but she didn't want it stolen. Funny thing though. I think I charge her more than the bag would've cost..........

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

To prevent sudden overnight freeze damage that will happen in mid October.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

But, as the OP mentioned, why worry about freezes after you've winterized? You have customers turn the water back on, and call you for another winterizing? Or are you making two service calls, the first one to apply an insulation wrap for the last few weeks of operation?

9. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

I am speaking specifically about after the blowout. No restart until spring. Agree with wrapping for late season customers, though I tell them there is no need. Plant material goes dormant with the colder temps. Turf and shrubs do not need any more water.
    I just see ads for winterizing that includes wrapping pipes and back flow after blowout! I do not do it.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

likewise.com