1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insulting dealers......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sauls1686, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Im now ready 2 buy my WB. I decided 2 go new (or 200 hours or less--demo etc) and the most i can spend is $2,500.

It has to b 48", and have a 15 or more Kawi.

I demoed a Yazoo/Kees Kutter and really liked it. He was asking $3090. Ahhh but my dad could see on his book that for a promotion he could sell for $2399.

A local dealer has a scag 48" that was a demo, they are asking $2,700.

A friend of mine said a friend of his had a 48" Exmark (Hydro) with less than 100 hours and traded it for $2,000. (grrrrrrrrr) Im tracking that mower down and gonna see if its still there.... if it is im gonna see what they want.

With ANY of these mowers, is it reasonable to make offers? Way LOW offers? I would only give $2,400 for the Yazoo and the same for the Scag. I would probably give the same for the Exmark if its still there.

Lemme know what u think.
  2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I would be honest with the Scag dealer and tell him you can only afford the $2500.00

BTW is the $2700.00 list for that mower?

If it is then here is the deal.
    If he is a Bronze dealer (does not sell a ton, small) then his mark-up is around 25%

If he is a silver dealer ( mid size) then his mark-up can be up to 27%

A gold dealer up to 33%

So offer him the $2500 as that is taking 8% off the list (if it is list)
    This time of year then he might take it.

BTW he may have paid some interest so for every month he has paid on his floor plan then that reduces his profits. Another bonus for you.

Hope this helps

P.S. Deer season will be here soon!
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on nelbuts comments.
    Go for it, he'll either work with you or say no.
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I agree with Nelbuts. Take the MSRP for the mower and deduct a minimum of 15%, more if the the dealer is a large one. At this time of year you should be able to get a good price on a WB.
  5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

You should be able to buy a new Exmark Metro at around your budget with ECS and the 15 hp kawa. As I only paid $2679 for my Metro HP although it is only a 36" it has floating deck and the 15 hp kawa and ECS controls. I didn't need the floating deck but Could not get the 15 hp kawa on the regular Metro. Its a good thing to because I've bogged the 15 hp to were it would have stalled the 12.5 hp.
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

go for the exmark, if you want a walk behind, dixie chopper when you move up to the ztr.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i could never, for the life of me, figure out why someone would pay that kind of cash for a walkbehind. i bought all used. 32 emark-$500. 36 bobcat-$1200. 48 bobcat -$300. 48 bunton-$300. thats a toal of $2200, for 4 mowers, all in good running condition, and able to serve every purpose. not to mention that, when u put all yur eggs in one basket, if it breaks down, yur dead in the water. seems to me you can buy a nice used mower for pennies. why spend $2500?
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Dang Bobby, next time I'm in Jersey I'll turn the tables on the women and you and I can go out for a day of shopping! I'll take some of those deals and I don't even need the mowers.
  9. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

A $300 48", wow that sounds like a winner :rolleyes:

Do they have any paint on them Bobby?
  10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, do you have to wear heat insulating gloves when you mow?;)