1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance and bonding?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Basilhayden, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Basilhayden

Basilhayden LawnSite Member

I am curious as to what type of insurance do you guys carry? Is there a difference depending on whether you do more residential or commercial? About how much does the avg. insurance policy and bond cost? Should I worry with insurance while first starting out with residential only yards? Thanks
  2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You will want insurance!!! It can cost anywhere from aroung $400-$1200+ depending on what you get. For general liability an average policy is about $1million which is usually the minimum you need for commercial accounts. But if you are just doing residential you may be able to get by with $500,000. But no matter what you will want it, just in case there is an accident while you are working.
  3. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

general liability cost me $370 a year for 2 million, no Workman's comp
  4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

A general liability policy is a must. We carry 2 mil worth of coverage for like $400 yr. $1000 bond cost us $75 . Most commercial properties will require some amount of general liability to even turn in a bid.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I can't get those great of prices for insurance up here. I'm at about $950 for a $1million policy right now.