insurance and legit

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JrSlivkalandscaping, Sep 28, 2006.

1. JrSlivkalandscaping

JrSlivkalandscaping LawnSite Member

im 17 right now and im turning 18 over the winter i was wondering is it worth going legit and gettin insurance and all for the year coming up? next year ill be a senior in highschool. this year has been a great year i have about 25 or so accounts only cause im in school. i was thinking about goin legit because i hire some of my friends from school and i would like to get insureance too just in case something does happen. im also geting my pesticide licence when i turn 18 too.

by the way ive been landscaping for about 4 years now and my little business grew pretty big would this be a good idea? :confused:
    Any input would be great:)
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Of course you need to get insurance and be as legit as possable. If not insured and something happens , you will spend the rest of your life paying for that mistake. Also if you get your pesticide liscense, you will prob have to have proof of Ins to keep the liscense

3. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyway a 15-16 year old can get insured nad be legit? I want to get my license this spring maybe if I get enough buisness I dont want to get in trouble for running a non insured illegal buisness or if that is even a crime. . .I just dont want to break something major on accident without insurance
  4. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

In some areas it is illegal to operate without insurance, but not most. Check with the local gov.s where you will be working. Be very mindful of the workers comp laws where you are. As for breaking something, you break it you bought it. As for your age, it depends on who it is your dealing with. Some people will not sign a contract for those under the age of 18 because you are not legally bound to your signature as you are not a consenting adult...yet.
  5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You don't need any insurance if you break something just tell the homeowner to put it through their insurance. LOL
    Yes, get the insurance and get the higher deductible save your claims for big stuff and take care of any small things yourself.
  6. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

to get licsened u need to be insured dont get caught by your city not being licsened here its a 500 ticket...
  7. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

i am in kind of the same situation. i am just starting next year thought and as of now i have no accounts or anything and i was wondering if it was necessary to get a business license and insurance? or should i wait to see how i do and how many accounts i get
  8. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I think that I have decided that I am going to get licensed first. Then I will go door to door see what I can get for potential customers in the spring and if I get alot of them I will get insured right away in the spring. If not I will get insured mid summer or spring of 2008. Simply becuse after I get insured I can get commercail accounts or atleast I can try :) . I would deffinatly get licensed though, I wouldnt want to get a ticket!
  9. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i was thinking too, about the licensing and insurance.
  10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Insurance is relatively cheap. Mine is under $600 per year (no employees). If you do not get are asking for trouble. I would (and did) make getting insured one of the first things to do in starting up nearly any business. As for a license...that's a no brainer....definitely get it. Also get your Federal ID #. These are all things easily and cheaply can't really call it a business if you do not treat it like a business. It's easy to be legit...I recently did it and so can anyone else that isn't too lazy to try.