Insurance and LLC

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by VictorD21, Mar 2, 2008.

1. VictorD21

VictorD21 LawnSite Member

I am fairly new to the business with this being my 1st year actually focusing on lawn service. I primarily do residential with a few potential commercial clients. I currently have a business license with DBA. I was wondering if there would be a need to setup LLC and wether or not insurance is necessary. I do not plan to add on too many other properties at this time, as I want to make sure that I have plenty of time for quality work. Thanks

2. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Just about all commercials that I deal with have to have E.I.N and copy of business/liability insurance... maybe it is different state to state??

3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am also in Louisiana. Insurance is not required, but is a smart idea. I didnt do enough research so I will finish this year as a sole proprietor. I will be switching to LLC for 2009. Its definately worth the extra money to be an LLC. Get your paperwork from an attourney or legalzoom.com

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless of being a Sole Prop or LLC, you'd better get yourself at least some GL for your operations. One rock-out-the-chute and into a kid on the street and you will wish you had coverage.