Insurance carriers and limits

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by efaubert1, Jul 3, 2006.

1. efaubert1

efaubert1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ok folks, my father in law is finally at a point where he is ready to get serious about the whole LCO business. We have been procuring equipment, trailer, and so on over the last year so that when he retires he can start his own business. Well, now that he has the tools, he needs to start getting insurance quotes, and honestly I have no idea where to point him. Any companies one might suggest, as well as limits of liability and so forth would be greatly appreciated. And an idea of what kind of premiums to expect. And it looks as though he may already have his first commercial account lined up, as the company he is retiring from has decided to have an outside contractor mow their grounds, all 20+ acres.

2. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

Most residential jobs will only require 1 million in liability. Larger commercial accounts may require 2 or more million. Open the phone book and start getting quotes.

kb

3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Since your in Indiana, try Farm Bureau. That's who I use and I pay around $300 per year with 1 million coverage.

4. efaubert1

efaubert1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the info folks. My father in law is with Farm Bureau already, so thats probably the best direction for him to go.

5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

If you are beocming licensed see what the requirements are /.... Its only 300k here for liability but no compnay would give that little and we got 1 million for $800 a year

6. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

We have an agent in the our area that carries National Grange Mutual Insurance Company. After pricing of 3-4 different companies they had the best deal and also have Workmens Comp rolled in. Includes Full replacement costs of equipt and a higher equipt pricing classification. Works for us.:cool2:

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Erie Insurance if they are in Indiana, check them out too.

8. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

We tried Erie Insurance here because everyone said they where lower priced. However they where quite a bit higher here. Maybe it was just the agents tring to RIP us but I tried 2 different agents. They must Not be interested in Pa Lco's.