insurance carries in NJ

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JML, Jan 16, 2003.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently using selective as my insurance carrier, I am very unhappy with them.. They told me I had two accidents over the past two years, raised my rates, saying I haven't paid them when checks were cashed, I have payed for snow plow insurance they say it isn't covered. I am just fed up with them.. But I also know they are the biggest in NJ supposedly. Does anyone do business with any other insurance company, if so who and how do I contact them? thanks
  2. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

JML: New Jersey is the poster child for lack of an auto market as a result of the strict rate oversight of the State Insurance Dept. Many insurance companies will not write any auto business in the state as a result of not being able to make a profit because of regulatory depressed rates. Frankly, those companies that do write in New Jersey may well treat their customers like crap because they know you have few other alternatives. Check around with your local insurance agents to see if you can find a more consumer friendly company.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I used Selective for a number of years. I didn't care for the folks that bought them out though. If I remember right, the office was moved from North Branch/Somervillle area over to Short Hills.

I had to drop them cause I do a lot of work in PA and they couildn't cover me over there. I've been using Nationwide since about 1999 and have been very happy with them.
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For all Landscape Ins needs in NJ (auto, liability, workmans comp, snow reomval & pesticide) you should check out Farm Family. Join the NJ Farm Bureau as an associate member and reap the bene's.
    Our agent is Pam Carrol from Pitman (856)589-5775.

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto Turfdude!
    Been using them for years now, and even have the personal auto, homeowner's, life etc. through them. By far better pricing then regular insurance carriers in NJ, and they understand our industry & our insurance needs. If you're in Central or North Jersey & want a rep closer to here instead of the one he posted in South Jersey, feel free to PM me. I don't have the number right here right now.
  6. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

how about north jersey bob ?are they up north?
  7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'' get a quote from them Bob.

I use Wharton/Atlantic 1-732-531-3003. I'm underwritten by CNA. I haven't checked prices in awhile because a lot of reps tell you they can save you money and misrepresent your coverage and leave out details about plowing, pesticides etc and you get stiffed in the end. CNA is good with green industry contactors.
  8. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

Being members of associations has helped keep our costs down- their is nothing you can do with the workers' comp- thats based on payroll- But be active and Join ALCA,NJLCA,SIMA and many other great organizations out there who safe risk and sound management will help reduce risk management. Also TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN your teams!