Insurance Claim

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by billsdepot, Feb 24, 2007.

1. billsdepot

billsdepot LawnSite Member

I own a 2003 6' x 10' Haulmark enclosed trailer with a ramp door that was rear ended. My insurance company says that it would cost more to repair than the value of the trailer. Has anyone had a similiar experience & can help me locate the fair market value of this trailer so I don't get ripped off by my insurance company. I have gone to a haulmark distributor and they told me they could only guess at the value. There is no blue book for enclosed trailers. Thanks.

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Trailer NEW value - depreciation............ask the dealer how much to repair and you should know what you want to do.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Thats why under our insurance I insure for replacement value NOT market value. IMHO it does nothing for you any other way.

This past summer I decided to take out a mailbox with the side of my enclosed trailer and gouge holes all along the side and the door. Long story short I had to replace six panels down the side. And since they are all riveted in it is/was a very time consuming job. It was tuff just finding someone to fix it. I think the total bill was something like 2400 bucks of which I had to pay my 500 deductible. This is for a haulmark 20' enclosed trailer.

That was just for replacing panels...not an entire rear door and fixing a frame. So your ins. company is probablly right.

How about suing/going after the person who rear-ended you. After all, aren't they responsible? I would think that that would be a no brainer???

4. billsdepot

billsdepot LawnSite Member

Yes, it was their fault. However, the insurance company is giving me a quote on what they think it is worth. I want to try and find out some how if that is fair market value. Does anyone know how much an enclosed trailer in good condition depreciates each year?

5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe there is so a blue book for enclosed trailers, pick up a Clymer motorcycle/ ATV/ snowmobile 'blue' book. We used them at a dealership I worked at, there are hundreds, if not thousands of trailers listed. Go to your nearest motorcycle dealership and see if they have one.

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

not sure how old yours is, but i bought my 18' pace summit enclosed trailer in 2005(its an 04), i paid 5500, new it was 6500 if that helps a bit. granted it was as new as it gets, the guy bought it, drove to FL, came back and traded it in for a bigger one.