Insurance concern revisited

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Mar 1, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I posted about a week back about my concern that my general liability policy with State Farm would not cover me under my Indiana 3b pesticide license. I've since had conversations with my agent and the Office of the Indiana State Chemist (OISC), which regulates pesticides in Indiana.

My agent insists that my policy covers the requirements of the OISC, even after I showed him the printout of the OISC website listing the insurance requirements. He also explained that even if there were a claim and SF denied coverage, he'd have to cover me with HIS insurance, which he described as "if I say something stupid that isn't true" insurance.

I also talked to the OISC, and they just said that the requirement was $300k in general liability coverage.

So let me ask you this: IF my agent insists that I'm covered, and is willing to document our conversations in writing, and IF the OISC seems satisfied, do I still have any reason to be dubious about the whole thing?

I want sufficient coverage, both to be legal, and to be properly protected, but at the same time I don't want to spend a nickel more than I have to. At $424/year for $1M in liability coverage AND proper pesticide coverage, is it possible to go wrong?

Come on, just TRY and poke some holes in my world! :cool:

Comments?

2. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Be very careful of the wording in your agreement with SF. You may or may not be covered by the wording in your agreement. Just remember a signed contract in a court of law is proof you understand the agreement.

3. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with A.T.A.K concerning this "documentation". I would suggest that you have a lawyer peruse it and sew any holes shut before you commit. Will Rogers once said " An oral contract ain't worth the paper it's written on" and in my 25 years in the green industry that has proven true way too many times. Here in the U.S., everyone is looking for a lawsuit and one good one can kill your dreams forever. Protect yourself. The amount you spend for a good lawyer is nothing compared to what you may lose if the insurance company tells you to take it up the kilt after an accident.-Garth

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Call State Farm themselves. Or call another State Farm agent and ask if the coverage you want is available from State Farm. But not all State Farm agents will deal with commercial insurance (at least 25 years ago). When I started then, State Farm provided my general liab, but when I got pest license he told me they would not cover it, even as incidental side to grounds maintenence. I went to an agent who got me coverage for less than I was paying SF. As conservative as SF is, I really doubt they would cover pesticides.

5. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Over in MO they will not cover any pesticides, I checked very recently.

6. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent post Garth.

7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

No....if it isn't on your commerical policy, your not covered, it would state right on the policy, I would be looking for a new agent, not solid advice if you ask me.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

State Farm when I inquired a few years ago wouldnt touch pesticides. My agent can get you six different companies quotes for pesticide insurance. If you need it PM me.

9. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Kootoomootoo,

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if a day or so if I need any more info.

Any word on that sprayer we were discussing?

10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I just recently switched insurance from State Farm to Erie. The reason? Because State Farm will not underwrite pesticided and fertilizer. I had my agent check a couple times, and each time the answer was no. If you want to continue taking a chance with State Farm, I would ask your agent for the underwriters number and give him/her a call. The underwriter should be able to give you a concrete answer.