Insurance Cost for Dump truck

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by procut, Dec 13, 2009.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been kicking around the idea of a dump truck sometime within a year or two. Something just under CDL, so about 24-26k GVW, like a F-650 or 6500 Chevy. I see them used all the time cheap enough, but I've been told the insurance costs are quite high, just curious. Thanks!

2. I would call an insurance agent and find out.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a dump truck one time. I sold it due to the high annual insurance cost, and high annual registration fees here. My insurance agent said that if it dumps, insurance is going to be very high, no matter what size truck it is.

4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

My 15,000 gvw dump truck costs me the same as my k3500 duallys. Of course the price of insurance varies greatly by state.

The guy's on the Corvette forum are paying between $500 a year and $4000 a year for a new Corvette with a clean driving record.

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

My kodiak doesn't cost me shet. Half of what my new 2500hd costs. Heck less then half. Now tags from the state are another story.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, just after I posted this thread, I thought, Duh should probably just ask my agent.

Thats intersting Picasso, so must be the ins. isn't very much then. I know licence plates were costly, too. I would probably just plate it for half the year.

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

$435 a year on my kodiak plates are around 1800 I belive or a $250 ticket if you get caught running without them then go get 3 month tags to make the state happy and start the process over again.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Contractors Pro

Contractors Pro LawnSite Member

Just because it "dumps", doesn't mean it has to be expensive. Landscaping is not considered by the insurance industry to be a risky class. Many of my landscapers pay between $1,000 -$1,800 a year for a dump truck on their polcy, depending on their coverages. Rates do vary between states, but no that much.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I sure it varys from location to location. comming from the Dallas Texas area every driver there is high risk. <--- notice the peroid

my insurance for simple liblity was 10.00 a day. I kno. hard to belive.
    I have relocated to a small town 50 miles w of Houston. I nearly fell over when I tok out inland marine on 2 ZTR's 2 trialers 2 trucks and verious hand held. it's 1200 a year.

this price was amazing. I added another truck about 2,3 months ago and it raised my insurance 127.43 per year.
    these prices are amazing.

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

This is why most companies with a lot of vehicles have them registered in some small town no body has heard of.