1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance costs??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by John P., Dec 4, 2004.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking about getting my business insured next season. I was wondering if any of you guys have an idea on what the cost would be to get insurance for just mowing lawns. I would want to have one part time worker to be insured.
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Im paying about 15% of gross for contractors liability, workmans comp and auto liability.
  3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Insurance for use is based on volume and payroll. Our general libility runs $5300 per year based. We just changed yesterday to The Hartford and reduced our rates 23% from Wesiburger. We carry a million dollar policy with a two million dollar aggregate limit. Commercial auto runs about $1700 annually per vehicle. Then there is workmans comp and insurance on all of our equipment. Ain't cheap I can tell you that.

Shop around with a independant agent who can look at several markets for you. They will get you the best price. I figure that you should come in around $900 per year for general libility with basic limits.