1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance coverage

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coolbrze, Jun 3, 2008.

1. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

What insurance companies are you all using and what are you paying? Also, what's your coverage?
  2. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

I pay $250 a year for $600,000 liability for the year. Just lawncare, no plowing. I have mine through Erie Insurance. It is a must.
  3. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I pay $427 a year for 1 mil. but I am a single operator.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

$135 annual thru Grinnell Mutual. Solo op no employees. GL only, no equipment coverage.
  5. Jinks

Jinks LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about getting into lawn care. Just cut, blow, trim... basic stuff part-time right now. I'm a police officer and just looking for extra income (but will not be a lowballer). What kind of insurnace coverage is needed for lawn care. Is it just a basic general liability or is there specific coverages needed?
  6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

general liability, i have a million dollar limit. a million is the lowest for commercial around here. you need to check your local laws and regulations though.
  7. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

geez it must be nice for you guys who live outside of NJ... insurance here for 1mil g/l through a few people is in the 1500 range per year
  8. rivercrest

rivercrest LawnSite Member

I work for a fairly big fert. co. in Ocean County and I'm starting a very small solo co. doing weed control . Am I doomed to this $ 1500.00 dollar sentence ? Let me know if you hear of anyone /anyplace who can lower that premium ... Mike / Rivercrest
  9. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i use farmers ins. i pay 165.00 per month . 2 mil. coverage for house ,one work truck, one jeep ,one trailer , and all my stuff plus covers me when i'm on anybodies property.also covers my worker
  10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

1460 dollars a year broken in to 3 payments that’s the business package I have through hortica 2 million liability lots of extras like all the stuff in my office and about 100k worth in the shop. Then we pay 4230 dollars in auto broken into 3 payments as well that’s 500k in coverage for 4 drivers full coverage including glass. On 4 trucks 98 and 99 ram 1500 pick up 99 ram 3500 dump 89 gmc 3500 dump wish it was cheaper but that’s the price and that took 3 years of shopping to get it that low use to be double that. Then we get to pay 6% of my employee pay roll in workman’s comp.