Insurance doesn't impress a customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 2, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Maryann calls you for an estimate, she wants her lawn maintained for the season. You hop in your truck and hurry over, all prepared to knock Maryann's slippers off her feet with your creditentials. You got a copy of your insurance, you have a portfolio of pictures, and a list of references. You don't get a chance, cause Maryann only wants to know the price.

My point is.... how many times does a potential customer ask you if you have insurance?
    Now don't get me wrong, 9 years ago, way before we found Lawnsite, I knew it was the smart and only thing to do to carry insurance. I'm very cautious, so we signed on with Erie Insurance, and have never looked back....

BUT.. think back to when the last person asked you if you were insured for grass cutting.
    I think maybe 4 times in 9 years, someone asked to see our insurance card.
    ( i am NOT talking commercial accounts, I'm talking resi)
    And those 4 accounts were bad terrain, steep slopes, etc.

So you tell me, does having insurance impress the customer, causing them to pick you over the uninsured guy?

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never had a residential customer ask or seem to care when I explained that we are insured. Every potential commercial account asks almost immediately. Also I haven't had a customer residential or commercial even know that in NJ you are required to have a Home improvement contractor license if you do more than mowing.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have only had a couple residential customers ask me about insurance but all of the commercial accounts asked, But I always mention that I am Licensed and Insured to all potential cumstomers

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

In 16 years, no residential customer has asked me about Insurance. Potential commercial customers usually do. I haven't won a residential bid because I was insured either. I have it for peace of mind and to get the occasional commercial accounts.

5. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Only Had One Customer Ask Me For Insurance To Do Her Residence And The Only Reason She Asked Is Because She Was A Business Owner Herself. I Have To Have It For All The Commercial Sites.

6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Never on a res. client always comm. though, thats what worries me that people don't care anymore about having professional type company working for them,just who's the lowest bidder.

7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Never for residential. I know a local construction company that has their sales people carry a portfolio with them, when the introduce themselves to the client, they introduce the company, show pictures, etc. , but they also have newspaper articles, magazine articles, etc., showing true instances where home owners have been sued over injuries sustained on the homeowners property. (One instance a man was killed, his wife sued the homeowner b/c she couldn't raise their children by herself. She won a ton of money) Having this type of thing in your portfolio may help to explain why we carry insurance to the homeowner???

8. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I only had the insurance discussion with one residential customer. She actually took it maybe as a negative. She wasnt sure why I would have it, no matter how much I tried to explain to her that it was a GOOD thing that I had it. I think that at first she thought that I had insurance because I was accident prone. But eventually I think I got through to her that it wasnt a negative to have insurance, even though the first couple of times I cut the yard I always saw their mom checking the property after we would pull away. For the most part, I dont think the residential customers even care if you have insurance. They assume that if you break something your going to just pay for it anyway. But it never crossed my mind not to get insurance, I look at insurance as giving me peace of mind, that if anything bad ever happens, that I am covered.

Ron

9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I have insurance but in the residential market, rarely do I tell anyone unless they ask. In this oppressed area full of tightwads where I live- they are just gonna assume you are more expensive than someone who is not paying insurance and thus- they will keep looking.

Commercial of course is a whole other ballgame. You gotta advertise insured to any potential clients you talk to in that market.

10. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Always plan for worst case scenario.