Insurance driving employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slt40, Feb 22, 2005.

1. slt40

slt40 LawnSite Member
    from nc

I'm trying to grow a little & have been grooming a kid for quite sometime. Now that he is ready to take over the routt I find out he has a wreckless driving ticket & my insurance will not cover me if I add him. He seems a safer bet than a forener with no driving record at all. I have nationwide commercial insurance---any advise.
  2. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe sell him the truck for a reasonable price, even if you have to finance it with a contingency being that he has to be working for you. Then pay him to drive his own vehicle to cover the route.
  3. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I ran into the same thing last year. Worked this guy all summer. Great worker (except he like to take an un-scheduled day off now and then). Went to add him onto my ins. and found out he had a DWI conviction. I thought about helping him get a truck and paying him a truck allowance. Probably would have had it not been for his like of a "day off now and then". Getting ready to advertize for a new guy this year. One requirement will be that he furnish his own truck. I will pay a truck allowance plus fuel exspence.
  4. slt40

slt40 LawnSite Member
    from nc

I have thought of that, the truck trailer thing, I have the truck & trailer. I have known the kid since he was 6, his dad is my best friend, I really want to keep him in my big landscape truck, great striper & hard worker.
  5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Find someone else. You cannot help those who will not help themselves.

You should, ALWAYS, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, get your insurance company to run a DMV report prior to hiring anyone who will ever have ANY reason to even start the engine in any of your vehicles.

The mere mention of drug testing will get rid of many applicants and a lot of those who say they will follow through with the test are never seen again.

In most states you can look up a person's driving record and any criminal history from your own computer. Use a search engine to look up such categories as Clerk of the Court, Court Records, Arrest Records & ETC. This is usually limited to each county so if the potential employee is from another county you will have to look there. Recently We had a person apply and he looked good on paper but while he was still in the parking lot we found there was a warrant for his arrest for VOCC & VOP. (violation of community control & violation of probation)
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You being in NC that (Nationwide) is your real problem I promise you! Drop them like a hot potato! I had Nationwide for 20 years, 2 homes, autos and business and then found out that they are the highest priced carrier in all of NC and if you call the Ins Comm Office they tell you that NW even pushes the limits of the law beyond what they are allowed because they know they have the big bucks and lawyers to fight the states on it.

Call other companies and get quotes you will be suprised! I sure was.

I went with Erie for my business insurance and Geico for my auto.
  7. slt40

slt40 LawnSite Member
    from nc

Thanks Mike,
    I have started to hear bad things about nation wide from other people also. My agent finally said he would write it, but through the state with lower coverages. I can't find a better price on cars, geiko couldn't touch my rate.