1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poorboy's landscaping, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Poorboy's landscaping

Poorboy's landscaping LawnSite Member

Ok guys,
    I'v been cutting lawns now for a litttle over 4 years. I'm now thinking it time to get insurance before my luck runs out. I just don't know what I should get. I only do 10-15 lawns now but want to expand next year into 30-40. Any help or information would be great.

I'm really only thinking about this now cause a guy that I know did $1,400.00 of damage to a house window. He was cutting and throw a rock throw a window and a 500 gallon fish tank. I'm galde he insured.:usflag:
  2. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

Min. $1 mil liability. Mine is less than $400/yr thru Nationwide. Check with your Insurance agent and see what they can do.
  3. Poorboy's landscaping

Poorboy's landscaping LawnSite Member

Wow that seems like a lot. I was thinking like 10,000.000
  4. golfnpreacher

golfnpreacher LawnSite Member

A million is nothing in today's world. If you have the misfortune of throwing a rock and hitting a child your $10k won't cover squat. Besides most companies don't offer that low, the lowest I've seen is $500k, but the difference between that an the million was so insignificant that it is a no brain-r. Put another way, if you can't afford the premiums for $1,000,000 you got bigger problems.
  5. jada86

jada86 LawnSite Member

Get at least $500,000 but cost for $1M only a little higher. Well worth it.
  6. ajslawn

ajslawn LawnSite Member

I carry 2mil cost $222 a year
  7. 03king

03king LawnSite Member

Hey AJ, Who is your insurer. ?
  8. Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC LawnSite Member

I would like to know your carrier also...that is a good deal for 2 mil coverage
  9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to know how you guys get such great prices on insurance. I go through an insurance broker and the price for my $1mil policy is about $900/year.
  10. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

Probably depends on location and Ins. Co.