Insurance help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by newbomb, Jan 4, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I am a solo operator. No employees. I carry 1 million dollar contractors general liability. The policy also covers lost or stolen equipment. I am principly mowing and light landscaping (no retaining walls or tree work). I want to add Power washing this year. My currrent premium is $775 annually and I expect an increase. ( no claims just average increase). To add power washing my agent wants to put that on a seperate policy to the tune of $600 more annually. The total due April 05' approximately $1,400.

I thought I had read on here several people discussing insurance a while back and as I recall their rates where about half of that.( solo operators of course).

Any thoughts or advise on these numbers? Too high? Just right?

2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

I also am in need of insurance pricing for a single operator

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Give Erie Ins. a call, they are the cheapest I've found.
  4. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

do they have a website??
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

What reason does your insurance company give you for such a high rate just for power washing???

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Erie Insurance Group

They only insure in these states though:
    District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia....
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking at changing insurance companies...anybody know of a cheaper one in MO or KS??
  8. new2nash

new2nash LawnSite Member

New operator- 1st year, solo operator, purchased my business and can't find a co. that will give him insurance because he lacks experience- some of the jobs require it. He's called everyone in the Yellow Pgs. My old co. was State Farm but they would not transfer the policy. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Farm Bureau, $204 + $25 to join for 1mil/2mil under $17500 volume. No inland marine but, it's available.
  10. justin234

justin234 LawnSite Member

Allied Insurance was cheapest for me. If reps are in your area, give them a call and see if they're cheaper. You might also try using an insurance broker. They hunt down the cheapest price for you.