1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance How much$$$???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Harry1958, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Harry1958

Harry1958 LawnSite Member
    from 47803

I've not cut grass for customers since I was a Kid, But want to get back into it, you know what they say, "Your Life goes Full circle!" I'm concerned since seems alot of people are "SUE" happy, rather than work an honest days work. What amount of Liability insurance should I obtain and what price am I looking at paying?? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. I'm in Terre Haute, Indiana, Thanks Harry:confused:
  2. four.r

four.r LawnSite Member

Harry I'm new but I have been reviewing this site quite a bit. The normal liability insurance has been 1 milion. I got a quote for $633.00 and $863.00. The last quote also cover my equipment if stolen.
  3. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is a little over $400 for 1 million
  4. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

Is that per year? do you make payments monthly or is it all due up front? thanks...
  5. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Mine was ~350 a year for a million, paid monthly.
  6. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

yes mine is per year, one payment.
  7. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

wow, what insurance are you guys using in IL, State Farm told me like $1000 for 1 million. Please help asap. lol. Thanks guys.
  8. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

we pay around 800$ for 1 mil.
    Had a break in, this summer, they got 10 grand worth of equipment. We got a check for 3000.00 depreciation is a sob.. Most of equipment was less tahn three years old.
  9. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

American family. My first year was 300K and the next year i bumped it to a million, and my premium stayed the same. I don't pretend to understand insurance. I just pray i dont need it. However this was just for me as a sole operator, 5k in equipment coverage and just lawn mowing.
  10. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't seen the details, but an insurance man at my church quoted me $159/yr for the minimal liability coverage, and $204/yr for $1 million coverage. I am a part-time solo operator, so I guess that makes it lower than if I had more employees and more properties.