Insurance in Grand Rapids Michigan

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by aclassic, Mar 18, 2005.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

Hey folks,
    i'm new to owning my own lawn company and i'm going to be going part time with this. I am probably going to have about 20 accounts doing lawn and fert/pesticide service.
    I know i need to be pesticide licensed and so does the business, and i'm in the process of getting those taken care of. i have already set up my LLC, i've bought my equipment, and i'm getting contracts signed. but i dont know where to get insured here in Grand Rapids. I'm from indiana so i know nothing about any insurance companies here.
    Any help would be great.

2. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

I'm in the Lansing area and it seems to me that most of the Lansing Insurance companies contract that type of insurance out. For example, I went through Allstate and was quoted about $900 for the year. The policy however is through a company in Minnesota. It's an "Inland Marine" policy which is pretty standard. A friend of mine got the same quote from State Farm insurance who got their quote from the same company in Minnesota.

So, I guess my advice is to call your homeowner's insurance company and they should take care of you.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in St. Johns, and just got a quote the other day from a company from Acuity. It was 402/year for 1 million liability and $8000 equiptment. The agent said this company gives pretty good rates because all they do is business insurance and workman's comp.

4. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

My quote was for 16,000 in equipment. Do you think that would make a $400 a year difference?

P.S. Procut, you wouldn't happen to need a 6 X 12 trailer would ya?

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

PM me and I'll give you a name of an insurance company that will insure you in MI. Allstate won't insure you if you're using pesticides. There is only a handful of companies that will. Prepare to pay around $1,100 - $1,500 for a 1 mil policy covering pesticides.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

[quote}PM me and I'll give you a name of an insurance company that will insure you in MI. Allstate won't insure you if you're using pesticides.[/quote]

Grass brings up a good point. I wonder how many here have general Liability and just think they are covered for pesticides. Same thing for those that do tree work, they have General Liability but they are not covered if they decide to cut a tree. Or maybe get workercomp rates that are way cheaper than everybody else and find out later, when they really need it, that the policy they bought doesnt cover the type of work they do.

When buying a insurance policy you really need to make sure the agent understands the type of work you do and get the coverage you need. If your policy sounds way cheaper than everybody else, then it probably doesnt cover all you think it does.

7. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

thanks guys,
    yeah, i'm probably not going to have more than 10 contracts this year, does it matter how much business you do? i dont want to go paying big bucks on insurance if it kills my profit or even puts me in the hole

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried to PM the info to you, you still are not eligible so anyway this is who i go thru.
    call CJG associates, they are located out by center point (eastbrook) mall,
    I won't post their number, get me your e_mail and I will send it to you or look in the phone book, they have several companies but the yellow page ad is for citizens insurance.
    Independent agent that I feel got me set up pretty good considering my business( stump grinding & snow plowing = high risk of claims) I have none.
    KNOCK ON WOOD!! :D

9. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

thanks stumper,
    you can email me that stuff to rcp2@calvin.edu
    if you wouldnt mind letting me know some of your rates and what it covers that'd be great too.
    thanks

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

pleae email, me im not to far away...

dgjbsj@aol.com