1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance in NJ.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SnoMan97, Mar 17, 2005.

1. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 LawnSite Member

Hello all. This is my first post. The forum is great. I have learned alot already.
    I am looking into starting up a small lawn care busuness in Ocean County NJ. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get business liability insurance and about how much it will cost? Also, how much coverage should I get if it is just me, no employees? For now it is just going to be a part time operation to see how it goes. I can't afford to quit my day job yet. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. thes

thes LawnSite Member

I work by myself as a Sole Proprietor.
    I use "Selective" for my business insurance.
    Landscape Construction and Lawn Maintenance falls under the "construction" heading.

For 1 mil liability, 2 trucks, trailer, all equipment, etc....I pay about $6000 for the year.

Hope this helps...good luck out there.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I have selective ins. co. of america...I'm assuming thats the same as what you mentioned 'selective'. Going on my third year with them...knock on wood no claims yet...so not sure how they are in that department. I got them through a broker, James F. Hurly Insurance in bedminster...I like them a lot. Might be to far for you though THES...although I've only had to go their once when I first started up with them to sign so paperwork. After that it is all cia fax/mail/phone.

Insurance is difficult to compare pricing. We have 1 mil per occ., 3 Mill aggregate, don't remember what my other limits are. We have a snow/ice removal rider (850), commercial auto (2k), and the rest is in general liability, equipment coverage (30-40k worth of equipment), and collision/comp on two trailers and just comp on another. Our total cost is around 8k/yr.

If we went and got our NJ applicators liscense we would need to take out an additional rider and that was estimated to be ~500 additional for the year.