1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance in Texas.. What do you pay ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kingofbling, Mar 10, 2006.

1. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

I was just quoted $860.00 per year for $10,000 in General L Coverage for my lawn business, this is what they recommended to start out with. (It was like $300 down and $55 a month)

What are you guys in Texas paying ? and who are you with.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe mine is about 1300.00/year for 500,000 coverage. Your price sounds kind of high. Mine is through American Mercury Insurance.
  3. fedcopcutting

fedcopcutting LawnSite Member

Both of you are paying to much.....I have 1 million dollar policy nd pay only $484.00 a year through a company in Texas( Carter and Company LLP)

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

Fedcop, send me more info, I am paying around $1700.00 for a $1 million policy. I listed that I have 3 empolyee's and 10% of my biz is fencing. I know the fencing part made it jump alittle and I am dropping that 10% when it renew's.
  5. kingofbling

from dallas

What are your ages ?

How long have you had insurance ?

Im thinking because of my age (22) it will be higher the first year.
  6. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of work are you doing? Tree work, employees, etc. Call around and ask carriers if they use lloyds of london, in years past I've had good luck with them. Thats way too high for a $10,000.00 policy(if you're solo maintenace only). Are you sure thats not a 100,000.00 policy?
  7. kingofbling

from dallas

To tell you the truth im not 100% sure, i was out today and my mom took the message and thats what she wrote down, they may have told her $100,000.00 but im not 100% sure, looks like i will call them tommorow and confirm this.

But i wanted to see what those in Texas were paying.
  8. kingofbling

from dallas

Hi again,

They called me this morning,

The total cost is $864.00 a year,

it includes a

$1,000,000 policy (per claim) and $500,000 (worth of some other type of insurance). They said that after one year the rate would go down about $250.00 if i did not have any claims.

Commercial insurance on my 96 Truck would run about $160 a month (just libiality) or $186 with theft coverage against my truck. He said that with mower/trailer insurance i was looking around $200 a month for everything besides the gl insurance. Auto quotes are kinda high because of my age (still under 25). Mentioned again rates would go down after a year.
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Those rates are not bad. I am with Hartford...4.2% of payroll, which was about $3,500 last year. That is for $1m in GL.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

1 million for $680.00

Ohio insurance