Insurance, Licensences, And a Busness Name??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by supper_slash, Apr 12, 2006.

1. supper_slash

supper_slash LawnSite Member

I was wonting to "feel out" the industry and see if it was what i was wonting to proceed in to. But i was wonting to look into how much it would be to get started, so what do i ask for in this? Do i need to get a name regersterd first, insurance, or what and what type of each do i need to get? I live in Arkansas and any info would be great. I do not wont to be taken on anything, so please be spifec. Also is there any on line/off line, insurance agencyes that you would reccomend? And what type of insurance am i looking for? Is there any kind of insurance for your equpiment, and if so is it worth investing in it?
    I do have Quick books pro, i think that it is 2004, will that work for now?
    What type of reccords should i be keeping, and how do i take them to my accountant (do i need an accountant). If there is anything that i have left out or are forgeting about please post them also.

All this stuff is makeing me dizzy.:dizzy:

2. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Do i need to get a name regersterd first, insurance, or what and what type of each do i need to get? I live in Arkansas and any info would be great.

Visit your county website.

Also is there any on line/off line, insurance agencyes that you would reccomend? And what type of insurance am i looking for?

Dont worry about business insurance until you have a few accounts, there is no point in paying a down payment before you get some income, its not like your going to start your first day and get 10 accounts. Wait till you have at least 5 then get insurance.

Is there any kind of insurance for your equpiment, and if so is it worth investing in it?

Depends how much you spend on the equipment.

What type of reccords should i be keeping, and how do i take them to my accountant (do i need an accountant). If there is anything that i have left out or are forgeting about please post them also.

No accountant, you can pretty much do it yourself. Its a waste of money paying a accountant if you have little to few accounts. Visit IRS.GOV they tell you what you need to keep records of.

3. wannaquitmydayjob

wannaquitmydayjob LawnSite Member

Go to Amazon.com and look (buy) for the book "How to start a lawn service" by the publishers of Entrepreneur magazine, its exc., has everything.

4. supper_slash

supper_slash LawnSite Member

I am getting the book, anything else that i should look at?

5. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

If asking a few questions is making you dizzy I would advise against getting into business for yourself. Also, if you plan on doing any advertising I recommend you have someone else write the copy for you.

Do a few searches on these forums and you should find the answers to just about any question you can think of regarding the biz. The book that 'wanna' mentioned is great. I have it as well.

6. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

I am just doing a cut and paste from my last reply to another post......

"There are more illiterate and ******** people in the lawncare industry than any other industry I have have ever seen, by far.

I find it to be quite amusing actually."

Good luck to you.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan LawnSite Member

I have seen an awful lot of those, which makes me think that an honest, hardworking guy that isnt illiterate or ******** and doesnt abuse drugs and alcohol should be able to make a decent buck. No offense to you pros, but in my area landscrapers have always had a poor reputation. It's actually kind of refreshing to read some of your stuff and realize that not all landscapers are dope smoking punks.