Insurance on a dump truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by zz4guy, Mar 13, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm afraid to ask what it runs per month. I am 27 and have a clean record. Also have a CDL.

I'd like to buy a tandem and do some weekend / weeknight work for friends and other contractors. I'm just wondering what the fixed costs would be for an older tandem dump (33k lbs+) truck.
  2. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

For my tandem dump it runs about $120 a month through Progressive. I'm 44 and live in a rural Ohio county, and do not have theft or collision coverage. Your location and age are the biggest determining factors for rates. A clean record will certainly help. Good luck!
  3. jayvanderplaat

jayvanderplaat LawnSite Member

Cost me $1700 in upstate NY, I'm 57 and running a new 2006 8500 chevy kodiak single axle dump, 33 gvw with air brakes.
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Some determining factors on insurance (seeing that the minimum is $1,000,000 liability): the amount of your deductable (the higher the ded. the lower the rate), your vehicles weight and year, add-ons like uninsured motorist and the like raises your basic premium. Your record and age also count and also the company that insures your truck.....if you just have one vehicle with a company they tend to ding you pretty hard, but if you add other insurables the rate tends to be a bit lower also.
  5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

I see that you are in Iowa,might check State Farm and Farm Bureau Insurance out.

I have my stuff at Farm Bureau,more stuff you have with them the better the rate.

By the way i'm old,not sure that is good,some where along the line they start charging you more for being old and hap haszard ????:dancing:

Good luck.