Insurance providers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by motoguy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. motoguy

motoguy LawnSite Member

I'm searching for insurers to cover our liquid pesticide / herbicide applications. We'll be doing this for some commercial customers, so we'll need to go with at least $1M in coverage. This will be our first season, and this will be our sole operation with this business (no mowing, landscape, etc).

I've searched the forums / old posts, and the names I've been able to find so far include Scotsdale and Columbia.

Does anyone have any additional recommendations or referrals?

Thanks!

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Erie insurance is who I have. Look for a local provider that uses them.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just switched from Nationwide to Farm Bureau for my general liability and theft/fire. I also switched my trucks' policies as well. They saved me a bunch of money.

I checked beforehand on pesticide "accidents" and also cutting underground lines and cables. They said I was covered on both. :)

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have Erie for my product liability too. not all companies have a policy to cover for chemical use.

5. Grassworks Inc.

Grassworks Inc. LawnSite Member

I have Westfield for my business liability (includes pesticide application), business auto, and workers comp.

6. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

North American Chemical Users and Applications Assc. has herb. and pest. ins., they also carry lots of other grounds maintenance insurance.

7. motoguy

motoguy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, guys. At this point I've contacted agents who rep Scottsdale, Capital Risk Underwriters, Select Insurance, etc. I'm finding all the quotes are hovering around the $1200 dollar mark, which appears to be the "minimum premium for a million dollar policy".

Does this sound reasonable? Is this pretty much what I'm going to be paying for Pesticide / herbicide coverage, for vegetation control only? No termite / etc, no landscaping, just chemical application only. Looking for a million dollar policy, to satisfy the commercial customers.

8. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Mine was $364 per year with 1 million and included pesticide apps and my mowing business. I think those rates are extremely high for where you are.

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Those rates are obscene.:nono:

10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I have mine through Ohio Casualty Group, NY DEC requires 2 Million.