1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

insurance question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by green thum, Aug 20, 2005.

1. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

I am considering hiring my first "real" helper,up until now my two nephews have been helping me.My question is what type of insurance am i going to need and what is a "ballpark" price?THANKS!!!!!
  2. farmerphilco

farmerphilco LawnSite Member

you should already have liability insurance for your company. Since you already have people working for you, you should already have workers compensation insurance so you are pretty much covered. I am going to assume that you have neither.

You need workers comp insurance for your employees. Even if you do not have any full-time or part-time employees but only temporary then you need to get work comp on no-one which covers your temps. On your full-time you need work comp. You do not need liability insurance, but if you were to have just a little mess-up then you are going to thank yourself for having it.

Quick story:

Three years ago, one of my workers was coming off of a sidewalk getting ready to start cutting another area at a tire store, blades were running, blades took off large piece of sidewalk, put piece of sidewalk through plateglass window, window fragments injured a person. Did I have to have insurance?...No! Did I?...Yes! It only takes a split second to really cause a lot of costly damage. The person is fine, really weren't injured other than superficial wounds, but if they had seriously been injured I would have been screwed had it not been for insurance.