Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tim Johnson, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

This is not a newbie question. I'm bidding on a property, and they request to be additional insured. No problem there. So I told them I will get a bid together and send it over. Today in the mail I get a new certificate of insurance from my insurance company and they are listed on my policy, and I never told them about the bid, or to add them to my insurance? Can thais company go in and change my poilcy? If something happens like a slip and fall on their property right now, do I have to pay? I have not signed a contract with this company,and they have not called and told me that I was awarded the contract. My insurance company is closed until Tuesday, so any help guys?

2. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

WHAT????that doesn't make any sense you did not get the bid yet?Did you sign anything?There is know way a rep. insurance company would change your policy without speaking to you first or faxing you over something in writing.

3. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

No I didn't get the bid yet, that's why I was asking? I know it doesn't make any sense. But they are a certificate holder on my policy now, and I wasn't awarded the contract yet. I hope I do get it, because it's a big one.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats really strange. I think its a good sign that you may have been awarded the contract though.

5. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am kind of confused of how they got on your insurance. Even if you get the contract if someone slips on their property and gets hurt, that has nothing to do with your insurance. Your insurance covers you while working on their property, for example if you break a window, a rock from your mower hits someone and they get hurt, etc. It doesnt insure their company. The fact that they would be on your insurance (I dont know how they would get there without you putting them there) just states that while working on their property your insurance company will take responsibility for any damage YOU or YOUR Company may cause. But I would definitely follow up with your insurance company on how that company got on your insurance policy. Thats doesnt seem right, no one to my understanding has the right to change your policy except for you. I dont claim to know alot about insurance but my wife works for her mom who is an insurance agent. I hope this helps, any other questions you may have I can ask her and try to answer them for you.

Ron

6. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I kind of agree with this statement, because if you didnt add them to your insurance, they had to have called your insurance. Which I find weird but it maybe a great sign for you. Good Luck!

Ron

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would NOT sweat it ... it's no big deal ... how they got listed on the certificate is kinda funny .... all this is .... is much like states that require car insurance .... its proof that you have insurance

When they are listed it means that if your policy is canceled or changed they & all the companies listed as holders of certificate are notified about any cancels or changes in your present policy

It is NOT uncommon on larger bids that any potential new contract request a certificate of insurance ....it just basically says ....yes you have it n this is what it is ....just because you may have said ....ya I have it n you may have even shown them a cover sheet ... that does not mean you have at this very moment in time .... they were just checking to confirm you have active insurance

8. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

Um NO He said they are listed on his insurance[as addtional insured] not that they recieved a cover sheet from his insurance company that stated joe blow lawn care is fully insured blah blah blah