Insurance question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smithsonmi, Apr 27, 2001.

1. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

We are getting our subdivision common areas quoted for mowing this season and got 3 quotes of similar $. A homeowner has stepped forward and offered his nephew's 'company' as a potential bidder. This bid was dramatically less ($3k/season vs. $4.5k) BUT they could not show that they were licensed, insured etc..etc..it seemed like a side job. Now I have no problems with saving money but not at the risk of liability or conflict of interest.

Unfortunately this blew up in a pain in the a$$ because we had to raise our dues to pay for the mowing as we seeded 4 acres of common area last fall and mowing is 1/2 of our annual budget.

What would be considered the minimum requirements of a lawn contractor?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say at least workman's comp./liability ins./and several references from commercial jobs they have.

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

In my area 2 million liability coverage is "required" to bid on commercial props.

4. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Workman's comp and insurance is a must. You would be surprized what one rock can do when shot out of a mower. I would be even more concerned about it if the person is a realative of one of the homeowners. One problem could cause an upheaval.

Remember that cheaper is not always better. A lot of times people bid to low on a job to get the work and try to cut corners to make a profit.

Getting liabillity insurance takes about 15 minutes over the phone and signing a few forms, and is not that expensive for a basic plan. If he doesn't have insurance tell him to get it. It will protect the both of you.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

just a thought from past experience ..... I personally don't like working for friends or family if $$ is a consideration ....
    Quality of service with Professional requirements, service & experience will keep the "peace" in the neighborhood ...consider the bid ONCE liability insurance & WC papers are in order & check out a few references ....good luck