Insurance question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gelc, Nov 13, 2006.

1. gelc

gelc LawnSite Member

Are there Insurance companies that specialize with landscaping and lawn maintenance businesses, or do you use your current homeowner agent to get your liability coverage?

I basically don't want to overlook an insurance company that will give me the best rate, since I only need liability coverage at this time.

2. rocksrscott

rocksrscott LawnSite Member

It's time to hit the phone book.

I checked out one Green industry insurance co. and they were one of the highest quotes I got out of about 15. I checked out several including the one that has all of my other policies and found that in my area an independent agent with a policy from Erie Insurance Co. was the best fit for me.
    But you need to see what fits for you. Start calling for quotes it helps if you have a list of questions/answers ready.

Good Luck
  3. gelc

gelc LawnSite Member

OK, Thanks.

I want to start out legit and would like to keep expenses down if possible.

Does $100K Liability and Truck (for business use) coverage sound adequate?

I could manage not having insurance for equipment for now if that would keep the cost down, until I get off my feet, and enough accounts to cover the expenses.

Would any others share their knowledge on the amount of coverage to carry? Or, will it not make much of a difference to go ahead and cover everything.
    (Sole Proprietor, no employees) 1 man operation.

What is a ballpark figure to expect for insurance so I will know I am getting close in choosing a provider.

4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

100K sounds low. check out 500K or 1M. you would be surprised in the small difference between them. Also add the equipment. the liability is the expensive part to insure, it is very cheap to insure your equipment if you only have a few pieces.
  5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have state farm for auto and home but they are WAY high for business liabilty and equipment I went to a BROKER who can search multiple insurance companies for the best rate...I ended up going with OHIO CASUALTY, so far everything has been great!
  6. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i believe 250,000 is the lowest you can buy at least it is in Maine.
  7. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

My policy is 1M and it is through Erie also. They are a good company to work with and I have not had a problem with them at all... I am pretty sure they do WC too.
  8. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 500K and I use Erie as well. My truck and trailer are also insured with them. I would advise getting your equipment insured also. I know your trying to keep you policy low but I had some equipment stolen this year. I was glad it was covered. We all think it won't happen to me but it just might.

Good Luck

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Erie here as well. Look through the yellow pages in your phone book for insurance. Call one of the independent insurers. They are basically brokers that can pull quotes from several different companies to suite your needs.

You should be able to get $1 million coverage plus equipment insurance for less than $400-500 per year unless you have lots of big expensive machinery.

My experience with large companies like State Farm, Allstate, etc... was that they were 2 to 3 times more expensive than Erie.

10. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i pay about 150.00 a year for 1million in general liability and that includes snow removal