Insurance question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Feb 15, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'm having my insurance company review my policy and shop around for better prices. One thing I'm wondering is do they have me classified as the right kind of business. they have me listed as Plumbing Residential. I have a feeling this may have my rates a little higher than necessary. Any ideas as to if this is correct?

2. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

I think i'm the same class also.They may have ask how deep i will be digging.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I think you would have a lot more risk as a "residential plumber" making your rates higher. Though, if you are working in basements with backflows and such, perhaps thats required?

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

my insurance is $4600 a year basically.

trucks & liability

5. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

My insurance company, Germaina, has me down as lawn maintenance and sprinkler repair. One million coverage with a $250 deductiable, $1054 a year is the cost for that. My family and friends are with them for house and car insurance, not sure if that helped to lower my price. Germaina only does insurance for people in Texas though, so no help to you DanaMac =(

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just be sure that they know you are service and not installs.

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Call Hotchkis (sp?) in Dallas, or CNA (mfp agengcy in ohio I believe) and ask them. Ive used both,

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

INS in your state may not have an irrigation catagory. If they do it will be cheaper to change it.

9. I would look into if there is a special class for your type of work.

Before I was classified as a straight landscape contractor which would cover me if I was doing retaining walls, ponds ect... I don't.

I did find a specialty company that does liability for companies like mine where we do basic residential sprinkler installs\repairs and garden maintenance but not full blown major excavation type of work that you would get with retaining walls and ponds(exposure)

mil and mil umbrella policy for me and 3 employees runs me a little over 1400 a year. The company is California Capitol Insurance and I do believe they have a CO subsidiary.

10. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

DanaMac, have you found out anything yet? I was talking to another prospect company before my renewal comes up and they mentioned the Plumber class as well for Irrigation repair! I currently am classified under landscaping. This person does not think that I am properly covered :cry: I came on line tonight to look into this with all of you as well and found you beat me to the punch. I wonder if the an insurance company would give you a listing of the various classifications? I am going to email the ALCC ("Associated Landscape Contractors of Colorado" for you out of state folk) and see if they can help in this issue. I will post their response.
    I will keep an eye out for more posts on this as well.