1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grassmanak, Jun 2, 2006.

1. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

I've decided to get insurance as a safety net. I havent had any problems, but dont want to take my chances. Who does everyone recomend for insurance. I would like to be able to cover my truck and trailer as well instead of carrying an extra auto policy. I only mow 20 yards, so I'm hoping to find something affordable. Anyone have any good companies. How much should i carry?? Also what kind of deductible?? I was going to check with Penn National, are they decent??
  2. One of Three

One of Three LawnSite Member

We've just recently started, also. We're licensed, but haven't gotten insurance yet either. I talked to a friend in the insurance business, and he suggested an independent insurance agency in my area. I'm looking into it currently and will let you know if I have any significant developments.

Good luck,

Three Men & a Lawnmower
  3. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

I also just got insured. I called an independant guy and he said that he couldn't get me anything without being in the business for three years, so I called american family where we have our home stuff and it was no problem. $500,000.00 liability plus all my equipment(mower is the only thing over $2500.00) for $350.00 a year.
  4. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Guys, insurance is something you just can't afford to be without! Most companies call it contractor's insurance, and it's very reasonable, usually less than $400 per year as long as you're a smaller operation and NOT cutting trees.

Think about it.......one rock through a big picture window could be well over $1000. Same rock hits a kid, neighbor, etc. results in a HUGE hospital bill. Somebody steals your stuff, you're outta business.

Is it really worth the risk of losing everything you own as a result of a lawsuit because you had no insurance to pay for whatever problem might come up?

One yard, twenty yards, or a hundred yards, you will always be at risk of hurting something or somebody.

My helper was trimming a big bush last year and sliced through a freon line on a heat pump with my hedge trimmer. Without insurance, that would have been 2 weeks profit gone in a split second.

It can happen to you. It WILL happen to you, sooner or later.