Insurance Questions

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by o-so-n-so, Feb 23, 2003.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I am basically a one man show. From time to time I have to pick up help with the work load. Where can I find a Insurance package to cover Workman's Comp for this type business. I have liability and property through Alfa and I think they a raking me over the coals with the price. Would like to have a company to cover all the business.
    I need company names and contacts for some quotes.
    I am in Alabama. Thanks

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure by you, but Farm Family covers everything for us.

3. American Family

How about using a day labor/temp agency for occasional help, let them take care of the employment taxes and insurance. Then all you need to take care of is your liability ins.

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

If you use just temporary labor on a part-time basis you could classify that person as a "Contract Laborer". This basically means they are a sub-contractor. You then just pay them their hourly rate X hrs. and 1099 them at the end of the year. They are responsible for the taxes.
    I use American Family for my liability. $385.00/yr. In my state you don't have to worry about workman's comp. if you employ less than 3 people.

5. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

you will want to check out the IRS defination of contract labor before you try this one, something as simple as telling the sub-contractor what time he has to be at the jobsight will nullify the subcontractor definition, and you can be stuck with paying penalties

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Casey is correct!! Also, if they are using your equipment they are not considered contract larbor.

MATT

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Thanks for replies...you save me some steps.