1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Insurance Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SoloMow, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. SoloMow

    SoloMow LawnSite Member
    Posts: 172

    I have just finished my second year as a Mow, Blow, and Go LCO. During the past two seasons, I have had to refuse numerous customer requests for Weed & Feed, Over-the-Top control of grassy weeds in beds, Fire Ant control, etc. The list goes on. I have had to decline these requests because I am unlicensed to apply pesticides in Texas. I have already begun the process to change my status and by next spring I will be licensed to apply general-purpose products that are available at any Wal-Mart. My liability insurance specifically prohibits "spraying" pesticides. I pay $320/year for $200,000 coverage with Mercury Insurance. Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance companies that offer pesticide coverage in the $300-$400 per year range? Thanks.
  2. thomsoutdoor

    thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,443

    Good luck finding insurance in the 200-300 range. I am in Maryland and we are required to have a minimum of $300,000 Liability which cost me $2800 Per year. That also covers my equipment up to $30,000. Trucks are separate. Erie Insurance is the only in my area that handles pesticides.
  3. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,648

    I use Hortica and the pesticide rider is in the $200-$300 range. Of course the total insurance package is about $13000...including general liability, autos, equipment, and workers comp
  4. SoloMow

    SoloMow LawnSite Member
    Posts: 172

    I'm guessing that you are licensed to apply limited and restricted use pesticides that require a license for purchase. Here in Texas that would be a Commercial License and requires a lot more coverage. I'm only getting a Non-Commercial License to apply general use (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.) pesticides. I hope to find an insurance policy that will allow me to do the weed and feed thing without breaking the bank. Thanks!
  5. SoloMow

    SoloMow LawnSite Member
    Posts: 172

    I will check out your company and see if they write policies in Texas. Thanks!
  6. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,648

    They are a national company located in Illinois. They have saved me a ton of money in premiums because they are insuring me properly.

    Check them out http://www.hortica-insurance.com/
  7. A.T.A.K

    A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 286

    You will find that your insurance company does not care if you apply a pesticide you apply a pesticde. I worked in the Pesticide insurance industry for a good while as a consultant. Call Select and ask for Greg 888-886-0206. He will help If he can't he will find some one who will Tell him Tim Smith sent you

Share This Page