Insurance Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SoloMow, Nov 23, 2005.

1. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I have just finished my second year as a Mow, Blow, and Go LCO. During the past two seasons, I have had to refuse numerous customer requests for Weed & Feed, Over-the-Top control of grassy weeds in beds, Fire Ant control, etc. The list goes on. I have had to decline these requests because I am unlicensed to apply pesticides in Texas. I have already begun the process to change my status and by next spring I will be licensed to apply general-purpose products that are available at any Wal-Mart. My liability insurance specifically prohibits "spraying" pesticides. I pay $320/year for $200,000 coverage with Mercury Insurance. Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance companies that offer pesticide coverage in the $300-$400 per year range? Thanks.

2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Good luck finding insurance in the 200-300 range. I am in Maryland and we are required to have a minimum of $300,000 Liability which cost me $2800 Per year. That also covers my equipment up to $30,000. Trucks are separate. Erie Insurance is the only in my area that handles pesticides.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Hortica and the pesticide rider is in the $200-$300 range. Of course the total insurance package is about $13000...including general liability, autos, equipment, and workers comp

4. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I'm guessing that you are licensed to apply limited and restricted use pesticides that require a license for purchase. Here in Texas that would be a Commercial License and requires a lot more coverage. I'm only getting a Non-Commercial License to apply general use (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.) pesticides. I hope to find an insurance policy that will allow me to do the weed and feed thing without breaking the bank. Thanks!

5. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

SodKing,
    I will check out your company and see if they write policies in Texas. Thanks!

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a national company located in Illinois. They have saved me a ton of money in premiums because they are insuring me properly.

Check them out http://www.hortica-insurance.com/

7. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

You will find that your insurance company does not care if you apply a pesticide you apply a pesticde. I worked in the Pesticide insurance industry for a good while as a consultant. Call Select and ask for Greg 888-886-0206. He will help If he can't he will find some one who will Tell him Tim Smith sent you