Insurance to minors

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Husky03, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have heard some stuff about minors not being able to get insured etc. and none of this is true. I just went out and got liability insurance. I am insured by Grange. I pay $502 a year for 300,000 liabilty and coverage on my Z. The insurance man said that I am the youngest person he has ever signed a business policy to. He lectured me for over an hour about being safe, but he finally wrote me up a policy :p He showed me a recent claim that he got from another LCO. Some little girl had gotten run over by a ZTR with the blades on and she lost her left shoulder. :rolleyes: He said that that it was going to cost 250,000+ in medical bills. Anyways, I just feel much better now when I go out to mow. :)

2. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

$502/year for $300,000 liability. how much coverage do u have for tools, equip, and the Z???

for $5,000 of tools and equip plus $500,000 liability and a few other details, i pay $368.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you search this site, you will find a numer of adults having a hard time getting insurance, i asked my insurance lady about it and she just laughed and said, "not :p in a million years"

4. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a $250 deductible and the only thing covered is my Z. The other places that I checked with were cheaper, but they would not write a policy for me or they wanted the entire year up front. I also get really cheap auto insurance with Grange.

5. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

Husky03,
    I did not know a minors could get insurance, that good to know. Glad to see you doing the right thing and getting it. You never know when an accident might happen. Great work !!!!!!

6. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

How do you think 16 yr old high risk drivers get insurance to drive? And be thankful they can! :D

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

You can't compare that because it is legal for a 16 to drive but they cant go to a doc or ER with out a parent . They can only work so many hours a day and a week while in school so how could one get ins when i can hardly find it for what i do ? I just don't think so . I am going to call and ask if they can . I have the labor laws here and they say no one under 18 can be an "out side helper" . I'm not bashing you its a grate thing if you got it and have but i find it hard to get it for myself and i will be 23 . And for someone to run over a kid had to not been paying any attn to what he was doing .

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

like i said, my insurance lady said no way no how...thats nationwide anyway...