Insurance, what to do

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rdran5, Aug 28, 2004.

1. I have less than 10 accounts, and some fairly nice equipment, my question is do I need a seperate Insurance policy to cover damage to customers property, and if so do I just get an addition to my current home owners policy. If something is taken from my backyard I think my current homeowners covers this. How about if something is taken from my trailer while in another neighborhood working?? Thanks for all the help.:confused:
  2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

All I can do is speak for what I have. My contractors policy through State Farm includes my liability insurance and what they refer to as an "inland marine" policy that covers all my equipment while mobile.

My equipment is stored at my home as well but State Farm holds my homeowners policy as well so if something get damaged/stolen while at home they can figure out which policy to claim it under.
  3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not insurance smart but I am insurance poor. You need a seperate policy for all your stuff. Have a doctor standing by when you make the call.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, doing it as a business and for profit you need a stand alone Commerical Liability policy to cover any damage and equipment coverage also to cover theft. If your homeowners fines out the equip was for commerical use 99.9999 times out of 100 they will refuse to pay for any loss.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

try Errie Ins. I have a good policy and a good rate, best I could find for the money
  6. Ball Park me guys, are we talking more than a coupla hundred every six months. That would kill a small operation, I am still Active duty but will be going full time in a few more years (2). And how many times do non commercial people have ZTR's, so they would catch me too.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

rdran check your pm list
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi rdran5,

If you are interested here is an article that deals with this insurance topic but for another industry.
  9. Thanks for all the great feedback. Now can yall help me get some more work, LOL:D
  10. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Some customer will require liabilily insurance for safety ..and home owner insurance will not pay anything of your business ,..have to pay extra for busniess lost ,,