INSURANCE - where to buy???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by A1 Grass, Oct 7, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Does most everyone have insurance? I'm guessing yes.

I live in Texas and am interested in a company that will write liability, medical and theft. Anybody have any reccomends?

Thanks

2. I dont know if they are in texas our liabilty companey is erie .

They dont base the preminum on on our gross they charge a flat rate of 215.00 per man on the payroll .

There is 5 of us in the biz they charged us 1075 for the year.
    This is our first year with em so i dont know what renewal rates will be come renewal time.
    The last outfit went up 30 and 40% every year and we only filed one claim in 6 seasons.
    I dont know about medical insurance we get ours though the gm uaw contract.

I have a good friend friend in the wood flooring business and he uses unicare for him and his employee's.

Dont know if they are down there but he said they have had the smallest increases in rates then any other health insurance he has used.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We work in both PA and NJ. We use Nationwide for Major Medical, Commercial and Property Insurance, WC, etc.

We have been happy with them.

4. I WOULD TRY AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE.

I GOT BASIC LIABILITY FOR $350.00
    THE PLAN COVER LIABILITY, THEFT AND 5,000 MEDICAL.

GO TO AMERICANFAMILYINSURANCE.COM

TO FIND YOUR LOCAL AGENT:blob2:

5. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

We use State Farm, but then again my dad has been an agent with them for 27 years.

6. Nomoslowmow

Nomoslowmow LawnSite Member

For health insurance, join The National Association of Self Employed (NASE) and get their health benefits. You get the advantages of group insurance like the big companies get for your family coverage.

Bob

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I checked into an insurance company in Nebreska, called Midcontiental something or another (if your interested in the name, email me).
    For $1,000,000 general liability was $250 year.
    Personal and commercial insurance on 1992 Chevy C2550 truck was $353 year.
    Theft on tools was approx. $3 for every $100 of coverage. For $15,000 coverage it was going to be $410 year.

MATT

8. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I am insured by Travelers through an independent agent.

9. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I only work part time and looking for just liability insurance. Companies want a company to have insurance before they can submit proprosal. How much and where do you find this type of insurance?

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Try the phone book, many companies around here are not taking "new business". That means, if you don't already have some kind of insurance with them, they are not going to offer you general liability for your business. I asked them what if I get insurance with them now, they told me that I would have to have the other insurance for at least a year before they would offer me general liability.

MATT