Insurance??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nherweck, Aug 5, 2005.

1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

:help: What kind of insurance should I get next year? I'm looking to do mainly residential accounts, and try to pick up a few commercial ones as well. What is the basic insurance I will need??? THANKS AGAIN!

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

1 mil

3. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I agree with ed ...c

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends if you have employees, I would highly recommend it but if you're solo, it is usually up to you but you need to check with your state law. Here in virginia it is not required and I'm in my 4th year without business liability insurance. It also depends WHAT you'll be doing, so for example if you're going to be doing some tree work, then I might recommend it but for grass-cutting?

This bit is important: DO make sure your truck is covered! Personal vehicle insurance is not always cool for a vehicle being used commercially BUT if you shop around, you may find an insco that will insure your truck under personal so long:
    - You are upfront with them so they KNOW what your truck is being used for.
    - You may have to follow some rules, like for me, NO signs on truck.
    - In my case, the truck MUST get SOME personal use (go get groceries with it or something).
    - Also in my case: Perfect driving record only - NOTHING in 5+ years. Ok, actually you can have one minor violation but that's all they'll give you, so really nothing is best.