1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, May 18, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Hey,I'm 15,and I really don't have to worry about this too much,but I will be in a few years,because I'm (trying)to start a lawnmowing/landscaping company...anyway,here's my question,how much does it cost to be insured in this field.I'm probably doing something illegal right now because I have a lawnmowing(but not landscaping...yet)business,and I make pretty good money for a 15 year old...but i'm not insured...and i sure don't file taxes.My philosophy is,if the governement says im not old enough to buy cigarettes then i say im not old enough to pay taxes....but for all of you veterans out there...how much LESS would you expect to bring home after taxes and insurance and all the stuff you really SHOULD have.Also,are there any "veterans" to this business that don't file taxes or have insurance???Is it something you can get around,or is it as certain as death?I'm not saying I'll try to evade my taxes and not be insured when I'm older,just wondering what the mainstream does...thanks,please please respond to this.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Manybe Im wrong but how can a veteran be in the business-if he's not in the business literally.Anyone who has been doing this and is at all serious and a law abiding citizen will get set up legally,buy insurance,and write it all of come tax time.As for you ,I am glad your working,but be careful,and Id work near home,and with people you know and can reason with.Your prices should reflect your lack of insurance,you are a big risk for a homeowner,and a careful one wouldnt let you in there yard if they are at all concerned with liability in the event of an accident.So be careful,and I commend your ambition.
  3. i am with john here. if you are gonna do this be careful. i did that when i was your age. chose your work carefully. and if people come around to visit where you are workin, friends, customers, etc. turn off the machines. um i pay right now 2600 a year for just my liability. and that is only 1,000,000 dollars. i was paying last year 1200 for the same amount of coverage. it all depends on what kind of work you are doing. as for the taxes, i pay them, however my accountant tells me what i am paying. i dont really know about that, plus it varries by state and everything.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

This year I am paying $755.00/yr for a $500,000 liability policy. They have an "easy payment" plan that lets me pay it in 3 payments over 6 months.;)
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I pay 800 a year for liability ins, $1,000,000. I guess im lucky looking at what everyone else is paying. I dont think you will have much luck financing a house, truck, mower, or whatever if your not paying taxes.
  6. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

I pay $313 per year for $1,000,000.
  7. wow, you southerners get away dirt cheap with everything. insurance for 313. that is great.
  8. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

That also includes all my equipment. I thought it was a good price. I go through an independent insurance company and it's written through a company in Pennsylvania.
  9. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

More info, please!! How do the rest of us suckers get cheaper insurance through this company? Contact info?
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with all of you as I too have insurance. There are mant "professionals" out there that are not insured. However for the 15 year old cutting neighborhood lawns lets remember that this is how most of us started in the business. My advice is as soon as you get vehicles and expand to get insured.