1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BlueDog Ram, Feb 22, 2008.

1. BlueDog Ram

BlueDog Ram LawnSite Member

I just got a quote from First Financial Network (goes thru progressive) about commercial insurance..

Here's what they said.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6cyl Diesel
    1 Driver (me, 20) no accidents/tickets

1mil GL
    20/40 personal injury

Premium: $5,360 per year.

This would cover lawncare in the summer and plowing in the winter.. I didn't think the insurance would be THIS high! Now Im having second thoughts about all this.. :help:
  2. jdlawn

jdlawn LawnSite Member
    from MO

I just got a quote from my insurance guy for 1 mil GL with all my equipment covered (lost, stolen, breaks beyond repair etc) excluding my truck it was a little over 1400 a year. Then I am going to get a chevy '04 1500 truck and it will be 1480 a year for full coverage and I am 19 w/o any tickets. I don't plow snow but that seems a bit high in my opinion. All my insurance is going through Farmers.
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

1 mil GL is $439
    Commercial auto is $777 (98 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 6 cyl Diesel)
    Equipment coverage is $434

Everyone will have different equipment coverage, of course. $5,360 is a lot, and I certainly would check around.
  4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

If you haven't you need to shop around. I was quoted $400-$2500 for the same coverage from different agencies. It has went up $50 dollars this year but I still have full coverage. I have great insurance I told my agent to include everything on my policy so whatever happens I would be covered. Another policy to look at is an AFlac policy in case you get hurt it pays you.
  5. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

$850.00 per year, $1m$2m, chemicals, roofs, 20' into trees, powerwashing. Just me, 27 years old. Country Companies
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

something 's wrong,

get other quotes
  7. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

C Care

Who is your GL with

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Bladecutter, I have Liberty Northwest.

One year ago I had Allied Insurance, but out of the blue they bumped up a premium by 40%. When they pull stunts like that I'll just look elsewhere, plain and simple. I'm now watching Liberty verly closely because like 99.9% of all other insurance companies these guys honestly don't care about you or your company; they only care that you pay them. To illustrate this, I just added a new Exmark HP mower to my equipment coverage, and besides having an increase to my equipment premium, which I anticipated, they also immediately hit me with a four buck service charge for doing this. Things like that tick me off. If I have to change a client's bill, such as a mailing address, I don't sock them with a fee.

Sorry... just venting.
  9. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

I can't blame you.

I'm just starting and will have some coverage soon. but as you can imagine, who wants to pay three times as much if you get another A or even A- company to write the policy for hundreds less.

I'm in the process of doing what you suggested ( as far as an independent) and will keep pricing

Hope to get some more response on the other guys who have had some great rates given them.

Thanks again