Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fool32696, Mar 17, 2008.

1. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm covered with 1 million in general liability, but am workers comp exempt. If an employee gets hurt on the job can they sue my customer? Is the liability coverage only good if you damage something/someone outside of your company? The line of business I'm getting into is far less dangerous than lawn and landscape but I'm curious.

2. FromtheGroundUp

FromtheGroundUp LawnSite Member

sounds like a question for your ins. man. make him earn his$

3. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

Yes, the employee can sue you and your customer whom you are working for at the time.

You say you are work comp exempt. Are you saying you have a policy that you paid minimum on and report no payroll? Or are you saying that the 'law' doesn't require it? If their is a policy in force and you chose to be excluded you will have to pay for the worker when they show up on the books and they will be covered even if you did not report it up front. In fact, I have seen multiple LCO's fail when presented with the bill the next year. However, if you are just saying you are 'exempt' because it is legally allowed, it does not excuse you or your customer from supporting an injured employee.