Insurance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kartracer2000, Apr 4, 2008.

1. kartracer2000

kartracer2000 LawnSite Member

i call my State Farm agent yesterday to get a quote for 1 mil liability as I have all my vehicles insured there and my house. Anyway, i ask her for a quote and she tells me that State Farm does not insure for general liability for lawn care, snow plowing, landscaping, etc. I was like, uh ok, i guess i'll call someone else? I though some of you guys on here had state farm or am i wrong?:confused:

2. timscherer

timscherer LawnSite Member

I have a State Farm Agent here in my local town of Roanoke, In. He quoted me on a Liability Policy for my part-time mowing business. There should not be any issues unless there underwriters will not insure Lawn & Landscape Business's. I have experienced that some insurance company's and their underwriters will not do Liability Policy's. I recommend to call around several agents in your local area and price them out. I suggest at least a 1mil(Occurance)/2mil(Aggregate) with $5000.00 medical. The estimates for your insurance will range between $280-$400 per year. If they are quoting you more that $400.00, keep searching.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I just paid $1700 in one shot for the season for insurance for my old Toyota truck, 2 trailers and a $15,000 worth of equipment. Replacement cost if equipment is stolen etc. Yes that was really cheap compared to the other Co's. This policy will also cover snow plowing. Quotes from other Insurance Co. were well over $4000 a year for new up starts. :dizzy: Yes I checked with other agents and they al said I'm getting off cheap especially for operating in WA state.

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Call around your town, there are loads of companies that will write general liability.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Try and find a National Grange agent, it took a while for me to find a company that would write commercial auto and general liability on one policy

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, my State Farm agent told me the same thing but he did refer me to several compaines that did insure LCOs......so I got insurance from one of those....worked out fine.....good luck this season!!!

7. Big C

Be sure to shop around..... before I found a company to insure me I got quotes ranging from $250-$2000 on basically the same 1 mil GL insurance from about 15 different companies.....insurance is about as big a ripoff as gas prices.....

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Probably worse...at least gas works when you need it!

9. Big C

Damn good point:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Pekin insurance has the lowest rates for GL out there. I know since I have checked with just about everyone. My auto and house insurance is with State Farm but they wouldn't insure my business either.