Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardmonkey, May 1, 2002.

1. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going into my third year in business. I'm 47 and have been working since I was 16. Have never been happier since working on my own. Learning every day. Learning about lawn care, gardening, landscaping, etc. Learning about how to do business. I'm a lot busier this spring than ever before. Have had some tough times, but things should get better and better. Totally overwhelmed with business right now. I have an accountant and pay taxe, though I'm a bit behind. I do not have insurance and I can see that I need to be working on that. I'm wondering if people can give some ideas on just exactly what companies issue liability insurance for LCOs and about what it would cost. Just some ballpark figures would be helpful. My auto insurance is with USAA and I should probably call them, but just wanting to get some ideas on what to look for and what to expect to pay. I'm guessing that we would normally be looking for just something to
    cover things like a mower or a weedeater flinging a rock into a car or a person.

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to your agent and see if they write commercial insurance. If not, ask if they can refer you to someone who does.

Also, look in the yellow pages for commercial insurance.

Check around, the rates can vary widely from company to company and not all companies will cover lawn care services.

In addition to liability, you will also want to look at coverage for your equipment, (theft, etc.) and commercial coverage on your vehicle.
  3. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Not having insurance (liability) is crazy. I use my same agent for everything auto, homeowners, business. It really is not that expensive. If you want to do any commercial or municipal work, they will require insurance. Good Luck and get some insurance, you'll sleep better at night.
  4. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Try they specialize in the green industry. I would not cut 1 yard without Insurance.
  5. Cutting_Edge_Lawns

Cutting_Edge_Lawns LawnSite Member

I purchased my lco and have been operating it since August, and am ashamed to say I am just now getting my commercial insurance. I have been lucky so far, no accidents or problems, but I can't tell you how relieved I am to have my commercial insurance in place. I went with State Farm, they have my homeowners, vehicle and life ins. The price was surpising affordable, and when I found out how inexpensive it was, I was kicking myself for operating w/o it.

Here's the breakdown if it helps:

Personal Property: $10,000 (equipment replacement)
    Business Liability: 1,000,000 (2MM Aggegate)
    Accounts Recievable: $5,000 (covers loss of income due to damage to equipment, office, etc.)

Carries $500 deductable on Personal Property and Liability

Annual cost: $1014 or $85 a month. Not bad for a significant safety net in case of a misshap or accident.

Hope this helps, you really can't afford to operate w/o it!!

6. Parrothead

Parrothead LawnSite Member

Erie Insurance Group

$10,000 property loss/damage
    $500,000/$1,000,000 liability
    $280.00 per year

they have a website and it will tell you where a local agent is
  7. Raven

Raven LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Grange Mutual Insurance

Personal Property: $15,000
    Liability: $1,000,000 / $2,000,000
    Deductable: $500

$352 a year

Three years ago I somehow caught a golf ball just right and it went through a sunroom. $1,800!!! I paid to have it fixed, but was reimbursed within a month. Premium never went up!

Had a 8HP walk-behind blower and an Echo backpack taken out of my truck last fall. Filed a claim and had a $700 check within two weeks. I thought my premium might go up this time, but they still didn't raise it a penny.

Peace of mind for less than $1 a day! What a bargain. Call every agent in the book and then some. Premiums DO VARY WIDELY! Make sure you compare apples to apples. The coverage I have with the same deductable was as high as $1,300 annually.

Like most insurance, you can choose to pay quarterly. You can be covered on the spot for less than $100. IMHO, I wouldn't mow another yard without it!