Insurance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tdifonzo, Nov 2, 2011.

1. tdifonzo

tdifonzo LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm kinda new to the business. Just started this July. I was curious as to how much liability insurance most guys are carrying. I started out with $500,000 in coverage and was just wondering if that was to much or not enough. What are your thoughts on this?

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

1 million, most commercial/municipal require this much or more.

3. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

1mil is on the light side if you ask me. Insurance is cheap.

4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

1 million 2 million aggregate at the minimum.

5. HLM HustlerZ

HLM HustlerZ LawnSite Member

We're a partnership. Carrying 1 million with 2 million aggregate, it's only $300.00 a year through Nationwide.

6. Georgia Lawn

Georgia Lawn LawnSite Member
    Male, from Ga

1 million is what we have as well.

7. tdifonzo

tdifonzo LawnSite Member

I,m not doing any commercial or municipal accounts just yet. Looks like I will bump it to 1 million though.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 1 million but I think it is WAY overkill. What in God's name am I going to need 1 million in insurance to cover? I'm not going to be killing anyone or blowing their eyes out with rocks or anything like that. Some people may disagree, but I work with safety in mind.

9. tdifonzo

tdifonzo LawnSite Member

Those were my thought too,Jdiepstra. I'm just a small guy starting out. I thought 1 million was a little overkill.

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I think for a smallish solo operator it's plenty. Now if I was a huge company with lots of crews and had a bunch of loaders etc for snow removal and was doing work on a much larger scale, I would think I'd want more. I think your amount of coverage should grow along with the size of the company. Especially when you start hiring the bottom of the barrel to work for you cause it's all you can find. Side note: your insurance doesn't cover stolen property and it's cheap to get that coverage added on so look into it.